Jamie from the Perpetual Page Turner is hosting the end of the year survey for the 4th time this year! Of course this is the first time I will be taking part in it, since I only started blogging in August, but I think it’s lots of fun! So here it goes! 😀
Best in Books 2013
1. Best Book You Read In 2013?
What? Only one? Oh dear, here we go…
20 minutes later
Ok! Here it is: Looking for Alaska by John Green. This book was absolutely perfect for me. I loved everything about it and still often think about it, months after reading it.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Ok! That’s easy! Definitely the 5th Wave by Rick Yancey. I just didn’t like this book and have no idea why everyone loves it!
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
Hmm… this would most definitely have to be Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I’m not a big adult non fantasy fan, so I was really surprised to like this book as much as I did!
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
I recommend a lot of books, but I think one I have been raving about a lot is the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. I really loved the creepiness and scariness and originality of this book!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
This is probably a tie between Percy Jackson and the Olympians by Rick Riordan and Bloodlines by Richelle Mead. I loved the first one a lot, the only problem was that I was quite far from the age target group. Bloodlines is also an amazing series that I didn’t expect to like as much as I did!
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
This would have to be 1984 by George Orwell. I don’t really like reading classics, but this one I loved. And it’s message is still stuck in my head.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
I read quite a lot of unputdownable books this year, but I think I’ll go with Angelfall by Susan Ee. This was so action packed and thrilling, and I don’t even know why I haven’t rea the sequel yet. Oh! Wait! Yes, I do. I pre-ordered it more than a month ago and am still waiting for it to come. I really have to send a complain e-mail!
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
There are a couple I think I will re-read very soon, but the one I am positive I will be re-reading is Looking for Alaska by John Green. As I said, I. Loved. That. Book.
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
Even though I didn’t love the book, its cover is just beautiful!
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
I think probably Mara Dyer from the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. I’d never read from a point of view of a pretty much crazy and scary person.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
I think I will pick the Fault in Our Stars by John Green for this one. I generally think John Green’s writing style and in this book I found it especially good!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
This would probably be Animal Farm by George Orwell. There were moments while I was reading this, that I just wanted to scream at the characters. George Orwell is simply a genius!
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
This is definitely City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. I’ve had it on my shelf for a year or so, but didn’t pick it up until this summer. Well, it was about time, right?
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2013?
This one is from Looking for Alaska by John Green and I just love it!
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
The shortest one would be A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest with only 89 in the e-book version.
And the longest, Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides with 752 pages.
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It?
This is certainly Allegiant by Veronica Roth. If you’ve read the book you probably know which scene I’m talking about…
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013
This one is probably the relationship between Sydney and Adrian in the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead. I’ve only read the first two books so far, but I already love their romance!
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
This is again in the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead, and specifically the second book, Golden Lily. I loved the Vampire Academy series, but this one is also amazing and I think in the end I might even like it more!
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. This year I started reading book blogs and watching booktube videos and everyone was raving about this book I’d never heard about before. So I Picked it up and it was truly amazing!
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
This is without question young adult. I think about 80% of the books I read this year are from that genre!
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Ow! That one is hard… So many awesome boys in books. Well right now my biggest crush is Adrian from the Bloodlines series, but there are so, so many more that I could name!
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
I’m going with Pivot Point by Kasie West for this one. I loved reading this book and am looking forward for more by Kasie West!
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
I think this one should be Divergent by Veronica Roth. The world building was great and I absolutely loved the first two books of this series!
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
I’m going with the DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger for this one. This is a book I read recently and thought it was really fantastic!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
This is once again Looking for Alaska by John Green. No book has made me cry so far. Yes, I know. I have no heart. But this one came pretty close!
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
For me this would be Reboot by Amy Tintera. This is an amazing dystopian novel. I’ve heard a few people talking about it, but I think it deserves much more attention!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
There are a lot of books that I didn’t have enough time to read in 2013 , but still want to… On the top of my list would have to be the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout. EVERYONE is raving about this series and about how good it is, but I still haven’t gotten around to reading it. Well, next year!
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
I will go with House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple for this one (Goodreads). I haven’t read her other book (transparent) yet, but both seem very interesting and both also have beautiful covers. That’s always a good enough excuse to buy a book right?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
This would probably be Scintillate by Tracy Clark (Goodreads). This definitely has an interesting plot and seems to be a fast-paced young adult, fantasy book. I’m really looking forward to it!
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
I don’t even have to think about this. It’s the Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. I haven’t read the second book yet, because I’m waiting for the third one to come out so I can marathon all three of them! Unfortunately June is still far, far away…
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Well, for my reading I hope to accomplish my goals.
As far as blogging, since I’m quite new at this, I hope I can think of new things to do. Also I really hope that writing reviews and memes and stuff continues to be as exciting and fun for me as it is now. I really didn’t think I would like it so much. I’m often the kind of person that thinks that something is going to be really cool and then when I actually start doing it, I lose all interest. Blogging is one of the few occasions where this hasn’t happened and I hope it stays so for a long, long time!
So. This turned out to be a really long post. I hope it wasn’t too boring… I still had fun writing it, even though most of the questions were really hard to answer! But I managed to pick only one book for every question and not cheat in any one of them (hem, hem, except for the 5th one). Oh well, what can you do…
Thanks for stopping by! See ya! 😀